Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Wednesday, April 28, 2004

In Defense of Free Enterprise: April 28, 2004

MR. SPEAKER:

I have serious concerns about the effect of this House Bill 511. What in the world ever happened to free enterprise?

The result of this bill, it would seem to me, would be to protect the big guys from the little guys – big business from small business – the large multi-million dollar hospitals from competition. I think there’s a place for both large business, and small business. It seems to me that this bill would have a chilling effect on competition. I think we need more, competition, not less.

It seems to me that, if I wanted go in business with some of my colleagues here, and buy equipment and hire qualified medical people, to open a radiology office, or other small medical facility, we shouldn’t have to go hat-in-hand to the state bureaucracy, and beg for permission to open our business. Let the marketplace decide if a business is needed, not the government.

Certificate of need legislation of this type may be appropriate for large facilities and institutions that receive non-profit status and receive government fund, and grants, and so on – but I do not think it’s appropriate for small business medical providers.

This bill may be well intended, and I believe it is - but I think we need more free enterprise, not less - and for that reason I cannot support this legislation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter