Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

DEATH OF A LEGEND

I only had the pleasure of talking with Governor Jay Hammond perhaps four times. When Jay Hammond was governor, I was still living (reluctantly) in the Peoples’ Republic of California.

The first time I talked with Jay Hammond was when he and Governor Hickel testified together at a committee hearing in Anchorage (what a grand show that was!), another time at the Anchorage airport waiting room, once in the hall at Dimond Mall, and lastly a wonderful hour eating doughnuts with him at a chance meeting at the Huffman Carrs Market doughnut shop.

Governor Hammond waxed eloquent with me about an entire panoply of subjects as we enjoyed coffee and doughnuts together. I thought, “Gee, I hope I’m as sharp as he is when I’m his age.” Then I reconsidered and thought, “I wish I was as sharp as he is at my age now!!” Governor Hammond actually knew me by name only, but he acted as if he’d known me a lifetime – and he treated me with an unexpected respect that was a reflection of his being a gentleman (as well as a good politician!).

We probably disagreed on some core issues, but my impression and remembrance will always be that Jay Hammond had the innate ability to “think outside the box” in addressing issues. Most importantly, he had the indefinable aura of a leader – and that’s a rare quality. Alaska is a better place because of him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter