Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I DON'T RESPOND WELL TO THREATS

I don’t respond well to threats. Never have. Don’t now. Never will. That’s why I didn’t respond well – that’s the most printable thing I dare say – to an email sent to all sixty Alaska state legislators threatening that if I fail to vote as a certain group would want (against a license for a TransCanada built gas pipeline), my name would be listed as part of a nefarious group that includes felon Bill Allen and VECO, and the so-called “Corrupt Bastards’ Club.” Whoa now!

Newsflash! I don’t cast votes based on newspaper or TV ads - including ads that some could allege could border on extortion i.e. ads that imply, "Vote as I say, or I’ll publicly list your name among criminals."

Let me explain how I will vote on the gas pipeline proposals. I’ll continue listening to a broad range of constituents, listening to testimony from all sides at the gas pipeline hearings, and add my own reflections to the question. I’ll listen and then I’ll act - by voting “Yes” or “No” on the license for Trans Canada.

When I cast that critical vote, you can put my name in large bold letters, on any silly ad somebody wants. Let both my admirers and detractors be able to read how I voted without their spectacles.

Old John Hancock said about the same when he signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776. My votes since 2003 always reflect a declaration of independence from political threats.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jerad McClure said...

I like your principles Representative Lynn, especially since your my district's Rep.
However, didn't Governor Palin say last year, that she would campaign against any Republican that voted against her AGIA proposal? How did you respond to her threatening?

4:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really fear TC as the pipeline. This group will get us nowhere and get 500 mill to boot, along with treble damages. Go to the light, Bob....vote no.

10:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

zPlease don't compare yourself to John Hancock. I am a constituent of yours, and though I agree that threats should never be used to obtain votes, I don't agree with your assessment of yourself as someone who studies, listens to constituents, and then decides. Your voting record shows a direct correlation between the people you receive large amounts of money from and the way you vote on their issues.

4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter