Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Sunday, January 22, 2006

THE “SILENT MAJORITY” WASN’T SILENT

Today this Vietnam veteran had joy, a lump in my throat, pride, honor, you-name-it. It was my best day (so-far) of 2006! I joined over 300 good people at the Juneau Airport in welcoming home a contingent of the Alaska National Guard home from Iraq. Someone asked me if a member of my family was among the returning military heroes. I said, “Yes.” To me, every one of these guys was “family.”

We hear so much anti-American, anti-war, anti-military rhetoric (disingenuously they say, “I support the troops because I want them out of Iraq” – but that’s not support, its defeatism) from the clamoring cut-and-run peaceniks that it’s easy to assume their numbers are greater than they are. Not so. The majority truly supports America’s Armed Forces and today, Praise God, the “silent majority” wasn’t silent. It’s about time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Zafrod said...

A few points, sir.

1) 'Peaceniks' is not an insult. Using it as such simply labels you as the opposite, a 'warhawk'. Your constituents deserve a thinker, not a label waver.

2) If the majority of Americans supported the occupation (not war) of Iraq, polls would demostrate this fact. In actuality, they demonstrate the opposite.

3) It is not your place to judge whether or not others support the troops if they claim to do so. Unless you have some divine window into the souls of men, you really have absolutely no right to assume anyone is disingenuous based on a singular statement of emotion.

4) Opposing this occupation is not defeatism, as an occupation can not really meet with victory or defeat, only cessation or continuation. As there is no stated goal in Iraq besides the introduction of democracy, which has been accomplished to level at which it is possible to do so. I see a whole lot of flag waving from my fellow Republicans, but what I don't see are proposals that actually state a clear-cut goal. I suppose it's easier to wave flags than admit you've allowed our great nation to regress to pre-Magna Carta Imperialism.

I am sorry if this seems "Anti-American, Anti-War, or Anti-Military" to you, sir. I assure you that I love this country with a passion, and I respect deeply the men and women who risk their lives to protect it, and who bear no responsibility for being ill-used. As to Anti-War, I am certainly opposed to the word 'war' being used to moralize an immoral, imperialist occupation. So in that sense, perhaps I will agree with you. I am "Anti-War."

6:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter