Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Thursday, April 10, 2008

KUDOS TO MY STAFF!

This is a photo of my staff: (Left to Right) Dirk Moffatt of Anchorage, Nancy Manly and Mike Sica of Juneau, Alaska. Many legislators have competent staff, and many have “good” staff. But my office is Blessed with staff that is both “good people” and competent.

When you see me in action in Committee, or on the House floor, you are seeing only the point man. Usually behind the scenes, there’s a mountain of paperwork required to get anything accomplished in the legislature. There’s critical interaction of my staff with the staffs of other legislators – that greases the skids for accomplishment. When I come up with an idea for a bill, I debate the pros and cons with staff (they are as opinionated and lovable as me). When another legislator’s bill comes before a committee on which I serve, or before I have to vote “yes” or “no” on the record on the House floor, I usually debate the issue with staff – and it can get pretty loud! The staff gets me in touch with constituents and others with an opinion on an issue. I confess: some of my best “sound-bytes” or pithy quotes originate with staff (every once in awhile, I do come up with one of my own – and they keep a notebook of my wondrous favorite sayings).

My staff coordinates with “leg legal” (the attorneys across the street with the green eyeshades who draft bills and amendments), to make sure I have quality documents to work with. Many times, when I’m here to midnight – especially at the end of session time crunch – the staff is here too. My staff is more than co-workers, they’ve become friends . . . not only friends, but “family.” We know a lot about each other – stuff you’ll never read here. I hope I never disappoint – too badly - my staff.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a GAS. Sounds like, "Somethings fishy."

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter