Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, YUP

Alaska Regional Hospital: BEEN THERE. Total hip replacement: DONE THAT. Would I get the other hip replaced if need be? YUP!

During my preparation for surgery, my anesthetist surgeon told me he wanted to locate my backbone before injecting me. I explained that I do in fact have a backbone, as do most other legislators – though it sometimes appears that some legislators do not.

The photo taken shows me with my registered nurse (and daughter) Mary Lynn on August 17th, after being prepped for hip replacement, just before being wheeled into the operating room at Alaska Regional Hospital. She was only in my operating room before the spinal block, then went on with her duties in an adjacent operating room.

Obviously things turned out well - since I'm breathing, have a pulse, at home, and writing this Blog. I arrived home yesterday, Tuesday afternoon the 22nd. My pain (what the hospital calls “discomfort”) seems to be 98% surgical wound and only 2% joint. Whatever, pain isn’t more than it was before the operation. I called my legislative office staff every day since the day of the operation - including the day of the operation. They can’t escape me.

Memorable moments at the hospital: My question: May I have another pill for nausea now? Their answer: Are you nauseous? // On using crutches: Do you understand what I said? My answer: Yes. Their question: Are you sure? My answer: “Yes.” Their instruction: “Repeat back what I said.” Someone needs to tell certain caregivers there’s no statistical relationship between a hip and an IQ, and that most of us comprehend the English language without having to be spoken to in s l o w motion. Then there’s the usual hospital room stuff: Every time I wanted to take a nap, they wanted to give me an injection.

My surgery benefited from being performed by orthopedist Dr. Tim Kavanuagh, along with other outstanding physicians, nurses, and staff. Overall, my care was both excellent and compassionate. I wasn’t all that cantankerous at the hospital (but Marlene says that doesn’t include when I’m at home)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter