Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Sunday, September 09, 2007

GRANDPARENTS DAY 2007




I was raised by grandparents - who were also raised by grandparents - plus I’m a grandfather of eighteen, and great-grandfather of one. My grandchildren range in age from Danny at age 32 to 1 year old Boaz. Obviously "Grandparent’s Day" is special for me.

My granddad was John F. Lynn, born in Missouri in 1890. His mother passed away a month after his birth. He served in World War I, was a Los Angeles County Deputy Sheriff for many years, and when I became a cop in Arizona he gave me his Colt Commander 38 pistol (which I still own and cherish). My Grandmother Edna, from Arkansas, kept house. I was born in 1933 in the home of my grandparents in East Los Angeles.

My granddad John Lynn, like me, was raised by his grandfather: Jeremiah French Lynn, born 1829 in Indiana. Jeremiah was an apiarist (that’s a honey bee raiser), and a sometimes itinerant preacher. Both John and Jeremiah moved to southern California at the turn of the century. I never met Jeremiah; he passed away 11 years before I was born - but from the stories I’ve heard I feel like I know him.

My mother Doris was a professional dancer in musicals, and later a member of the WAAC / WAC (Women’s Army Corp) and one of the first women to serve overseas in the 15th Air Force at Bari, Italy during World War II. After the war, she served as a field service officer with the American Red Cross. I was very proud of her. My mother and I had a good life-long relationship, but it was my grandparents who shaped my life.
I suspect many of my “old fashioned” values were shaped by Grandpa John, who got his “old fashioned” values from his Grandpa Jeremiah.

In my case, and in the case of my Grandfather John, everything was permissive and informal between parents and grandparents. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Sometimes grandparents have to fight for their rights. In Alaska grandparent right of visitation of grandchildren is covered under Alaska law in Section 15.20.065. Basically, a grandparent may petition the superior court for an order establishing reasonable legal rights of visitation between the grandparent and child. There are a lot of legal “if, ands, and buts” in court ordered grandparent rights, and the advice of a family practice attorney is needed for the benefit of all parties involved. However it happens to be, grandparents are important!
My disappointment is that neither my parents or grandparents knew I got elected to the Alaska Legislature, and they never met most of my own grandkids.
Photo at left is of my Great-great Grandfather Jeremiah Lynn when he was 92, the next is of my Grandfather John during World War I, then my Mother Doris during World War II, and finally Grandfather John shortly before he passed away in 1982 at age 92.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter