Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

FIRST TIME FOR EVERYTHING

The older one gets, the more opportunity to do what one has never done before. That’s a good reason for getting older (which, by the way, I’m in favor of).

Case in point: today I took my first sailplane glider flight, and walked away after landing the thing (being able to “walk away” is the definition of a good landing). Of course, there was a GIB – acronym for “guy in back.” The GIB was my instructor, a fellow more antique than me. Obviously, in a glider, there are no go-arounds for screwups on approaches to the airfield, and every landing is a forced landing.

In addition to my time as a F94C jet interceptor pilot, T-33, T-28, T-6 jock, and a sometimes Aero Club Cessna 172 pilot, I’ve flown the T34, and co-piloted everything from DC3 Gooney Birds, the B25, C124, L20, and even 10 long hours as a right-seat warm body in a B50 Superfortress – but never before had I piloted a glider. My glider flight impression: lots of fun, thermals can move the soarplane upstairs without much help from the pilot, more noise than expected, sluggish controls, and a whole lot of rudder use (I’m glad I got my hip replacement in August). .

My sailplane flight – in a Glob103 - went aloft from Dillingham Field, on the North Shore of Oahu, Hawaii. Nearby, more intrepid individuals were surfing gigantic waves at the “Bonzai Pipeline” beach. But I chose surfing the wind thermals, where one is less likely to drown.

Marlene and I have been on vacation here in Hawaii (on our own dime), staying at the Hale Koa Military Hotel beachside at Waikiki – available only to active duty military people and military retirees (that’s me). It’s a good deal, but we’ve “paid our dues.” The good news: not one person has asked me how I voted on ACES, Governor Palin’s oil tax bill!

I do phone my offices in Juneau and Anchorage every day - not to rub it in to my staff, but to keep up with what’s going on. I also report my research on how Hawaiian beach sand might be used to sand slippery winter roads in Alaska (if anyone believes that, I can count on them as a supporter no matter what!).

I also did some snorkeling in the crystal clear waters off Makaha Beach on the west end of the island. I saw lots of fish, but couldn’t catch anything. Snorkeling for me is easy. Extra fat equals extra flotation. Those who didn’t snorkel and stayed on the boat got an extra bonus. They looked at me and thought they were whale watching.

Note: Top photo is from the sailplane, getting ready for the tow aloft from the L19 tow aircraft - note tow cable. Didn't take photos during flight, 'cuz 'twas busy flying. The middle photo shows me standing proudly next to the sailplane after trhem flight. The bottom photo shows me impersonating a creature from the deep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter