Blogs by Rep Bob Lynn

Blog site of Representative Bob Lynn, Alaska House of Representatives,District 31 Anchorage, Alaska. Blogs consist of public comments during legislative sessions, speeches, political commentary, as well as personal observations, and some journal type entries. Comments are invited.

Name:
Location: Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Member of the Alaska State House of Represeentatives since 2003. US Air Force, Retired; military bandsman; F94C interceptor pilot; Vietnam service as radar controller (Monkey Mountain), radar site commander(Pleiku); Government Contract Management; Public school Teacher, Retired. Married 55 years to Marlene Wagner Lynn, 6 children, 20 grandchildren, 1 great-grandchild. Member St. Elizabeth Ann Seaton Church. Former Tucson Arizona policeman, Ambulance Driver and Mortician's Assistant, Realtor (currently on referral status).

Monday, April 21, 2008

RESPONSE TO AN EMAIL

The following is my response to a critical email I received which reads (edited), "We have sent you (our representatives) sufficient Public Opinion Messages regarding this (issue) and the unconstitutional nature of it. You took an oath to uphold our constitution when we voted you into office. Please tell me why you voted (as you did)."

"Dear (concerned Alaskan),

Thank you for your email.

I take my constitutional duties very seriously, and I honor my oath. That doesn't mean I have to agree with every folk with an opposite opinion. My job is to represent, as best as I know how, the people in the district which elects me - whether they voted for me or not. I can tell you, on any given issue - especially controversial issues - I usually get diametrically opposed Public Opinion Messages (POMs). I try personally to read as many as I can, and my staff reads the others and advises me.

I do my best to listen to all those who communicate with me, by whatever means the communication arrives, my own district first, and then the others. I do not, however, simply tally the pros and cons from POMs, emails, phone calls, letters, visits, etc. A machine could do that, but that's not what a thoughtful representative does. I am not a "counting machine." I do also pay some attention to my own experience, basic philosophy and, hopefully, common sense. I hope my constituents expect that.

I may have my opinions, same as you, but neither of us are the arbiter of what is and is not "constitutional." That's the job of the Alaska Supreme Court and, as the final arbiter, the United States Supreme Court - courts with which, by the way, I don't always agree (and, on split decisions, the judges don't even agree with themselves).

I have only two buttons to push when I vote: "yea," "nay." That means that, like every other legislator, I had at least a 50-50 chance of being "right." I regret you disagree with my vote. Have a great day in this great nation!

Respectfully, Rep. Bob Lynn"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Free Web Site Counter
Free Counter